Home

The History of Treasure Island


In 1939 Treasure Island was built on top of imported landfill and was planned for and used as an airport for Pan American Airline's. Later during World War II it served as a naval base, mainly doing electronic and radio communications training camp. In 1996 Treasure Island and the Presidio Army Base were decommissioned and opened to public control. After the naval station closed Treasure Island was opened to the public.

Today it is still owned by the Navy, but is part of District 6 of the City and County of San Francisco. The houses, formerly belonging to the naval officers and their families, are now rented out to the general public. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency the ground water and air in some locations is still contaminated with substances that may cause cancer and other illnesses. Being built on landfill causes the ground of Treasure Island to be very unstable, to the point it may not withstand a major earthquake. The Island is scheduled to undergo redevelopment, the date is still unknown.


Throughout the 1990’s and 2000’s the aircraft hanger on Treasure Island has served as the location for a number of television shows such as Nash Bridges and many motion pictures including: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Flubber, What Dreams May Come, Patch Adams, Bicentennial Man and Rent.

 

History of Hunter’s point


Hunter’s Point, also known as “HP”, is the southeast part of San Francisco. It was named from a local family during the 19th century. Hunter’s Point is the along Third Street from India Basin to Candlestick Park. Hunter’s Point is home to Monster Park, home of the San Francisco 49ers. Hunter’s Point is where many African Americans migrated to in the 1940s seeking job opportunities at the naval shipyard. It is currently the area with the most home ownership.


Hunter’s Point has 1/3 of the city’s toxic waste and it has become a health issue because of the toxins. Prostitution, gang fights, drugs, and murder rate has become a big problem. The neighborhoods population has changed. Many people moved to the other bay area places like Oakland, Hayward and Richmond.


The San Francisco Naval Shipyard was used during World War I and II. It is said to hold the biggest ships. The size of the dock is over 1000 feet length. It was filled with landfill during the 20th century. The Navy realized the importance of shipbuilding and repair of the San Francisco Bay, they decided to use it during WWI. It was also used in WWII and has become one of the major shipyards of the west coast. It is now a Naval radiological defense laboratory. It was used for nuclear research, which left many areas radioactively contaminated.


Griffith St. in Hunter's Point
In front of the warehouses on Treasure Island